Friday, March 6, 2015

10 Signs That Spring IS Coming



I shoveled snow this morning...again...following another school Snow Day yesterday. New Jersey is a constant grey, my mood is a constantly sour, and when I asked a therapist friend how her patients who from suffer depression are doing, she said,


 “Nobody gets better in a Winter like this.” 


Still, with Daylight Savings Time robbing me of an hour of sleep (grrrrrr.....) I have to believe that Spring is just around the bend. And, after all, the “official” first day of Spring is coming on March 20th


So here are 10 signs that the cold and snow will soon be a memory:


  1. There are buds on the trees. Really. Look at the ends of branches and you'll see the teeniest little buds growing.


  2. More birds are about. I haven't spotted the elusive Robin Red Breast yet, but based on the chattering my cat is doing in the window, there are a lot more of our feathered friends out there.


  3. The numerous emails I'm getting reminding me to join the Town Pool.

     
  4. The numerous reminders I'm getting to send the kids to Camp.


  5. Days are getting longer so I'm looking at snow much longer. Grrrrr....





  6. The emergence of jelly beans and other Easter goodies which must be hoarded the rest of the year.


  7. Spring/Summer clothes in the stores. Okay, so they've been there since October, but now I'm actually thinking about wearing them.


  8. People who only wear pants (as opposed to shorts) on the the coldest days of the year are back in shorts. They know something we don't know.


  9. The sound of woodpeckers drumming. Woodpeckers drum in early spring as both a territorial announcement and as a part of spring courtship. You may hear them on chimney flues and drainpipes.


  10. Winter drinks containing gingerbread and pumpkin are fading, to be replaced by ones containing coconut and pineapple. Yum!!!!

As I look over my stomach past the 10 pounds I've gained from stress and boredom eating this Winter, I can't wait until the trail at the local park has been plowed and I can again enjoy my walks around the lake. I'm ready to say “good-bye” to my comforting fireplace and put the heavy blankets away. I'm hopeful that the pollen won't be too bad this Spring so that my daughter and I won't suffer too much. And I'm looking forward to seeing the face of that first crocus pop up from the ground. You'll hear a “whoop” of joy from here, in the Garden State. 


For me, Spring can't come soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to email me at isithotinheremmm@gmail.com.