Monday, January 26, 2015

Don't Panic If Your Pediatrician Prescribes This


A few years ago, my daughter was in the pediatrician's office with a cough that just wasn't getting better. Now, I'd never seen this doctor in the practice before; he was a little fluttery, nervous and I didn't like him. I liked him even less when he said, “I'm going to prescribe a nebulizer for your daughter."  I freaked. 


"A WHAT? WHY DOES SHE NEED A PIECE OF EQUIPMENT?! IS SHE THAT SICK?!"


He gently explained that she needed something to help her breathe in the medicine he was gong to give her.  (He also probably branded me as a whack-a-doodle.)   After finding out that the device was covered under insurance, he handed me the nebulizer and a prescription for the medicine it would administer. 


In hindsight, the doctor gave us the most helpful device ever!

This is a nebulizer.


A nebulizer changes medication from a liquid to a mist so a patient can easily inhale it into their lungs. It's almost like a personal vaporizer that you place under the nose and inhale directly. Nebulizers are often used when a large dose of an inhaled medicine is needed. Nebulized therapy is also known as a “breathing treatment” and is common for the relief and maintenance of symptoms of asthma. For more on how to use one, click here.

This nebulizer is so cute!

The doctor gave us home or tabletop model which gets plugged into an electrical outlet and prescribed a medicine to help open her airways. Within a day or so, she was feeling much better. Since then, almost everyone in the family uses the nebulizer when they have a cold, but not necessarily with a prescribed medication.


Here's an incredible tip given to me by one of the other pediatricians in the practice:



YOU CAN USE THE NEBULIZER WITH JUST SALT WATER TO HELP WHEN SOMEONE HAS A COLD.


As I said, the nebulizer is kind of like a personal vaporizer and a few salt water treatments help us get over colds faster. Now, I am not a doctor or medical person, but as a mom, I can't tell you how many times we've used this amazing device.


So if your doctor does prescribe a nebulizer, don't freak or think he/she is being an alarmist like I did. Your physician is doing you a favor! Take that device out and use it whenever someone in your family is getting sick. It's definitely the most helpful piece of medical equipment we have!


Another adorable nebulizer!







THANKS FOR READING!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to email me at isithotinheremmm@gmail.com.