Sunday, August 30, 2015

EASY Crockpot Crab Chowder


My son and I ate a LOT of crab chowder during our recent visit to Virginia Beach. Why?  Because the crab was fresh and each restaurant's version was better than the last!   Junior loved it so much that upon our return, I embarked on a quest for simple recipe I could make at home. Since we're on the road a lot in the fall, I looked for one I could make in the crockpot. I tried several recipes, modified them, and here's the end result (drumroll, please!): 



Linda's EASY Crockpot Crab Chowder


* Makes about 6 servings.*  Prep time about 10 minutes. * Cooking time 5 hours.   *Calorie content: no idea.



Ingredients:

1 pound of crab meat or imitation crabmeat – diced
1 cup chopped onions (I use frozen ones)
2 cups of diced, unpeeled red potatos
2 10-ounce packages of frozen corn
1 tsp. Worchestershire sauce
1 T paprika
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. pepper
2 cups of water
12-oz. can evaporated milk
2 T Old Bay Seasoning
1 T Xanthan Gum (thickener) as needed
½ cup of bacon (I use jarred bacon you find in the salad fixings aisle)
2 T liquid smoke


Here's the EASY part:  
 

  1. Load all of the ingredients EXCEPT the evaporated milk and crab meat into your crockpot.
  2. Cover and cook on high for 4-1/2 hours.
  3. Stir in the crab and evaporated milk. Cover and cook 30 more minutes.
  4. If the soup is too watery for your liking, stir in the Xanthan Gum and cook for 20 more minutes; if it's STILL too watery, stir in more of the gum.


     That's IT!   


     


This recipe is going to be a staple of ours this coming Winter. It's easy to make and the crockpot ensures that no matter what time family members come home, they'll have a hot meal ready.


Try it and let me know what YOU think!

As always, thanks for reading!   Come back soon, y'hear!  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to email me at isithotinheremmm@gmail.com.