Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The PERFECT Drink For Kids At Easter (Or For Any Special Occasion)

My kids are not allowed to drink soda, except on special occasions.   Before you feel sorry for them, know that they get plenty of sugar, thank you very much, and I'd rather them drink water, milk, and seltzer. In fact, my teenager drinks so much seltzer that he has his own recycling bag in his room!


So I was surprised when, at a bar mitzvah last year, my 9-year old bellied up to the bar and ordered a Shirley Temple.  


“Where'd you learn about those?” I asked incredulously. “Oh, all my friends drink them,” she replied nonchalantly. As she sipped the pink drink garnished with a cherry, a look of bliss overcame her face. I didn't know what a Shirley Temple was, but I could tell it was sugary and delicious. Still, having one every once in a while couldn't hurt, I thought, as I sipped a rare martini.


A Shirley Temple is a nice treat for kids, especially at Easter with its pink color. Here's the simplest, cheapest way to make one at home:


A Shirley Temple is a great way to make an occasion even more special for kids!



Shirley Temple Ingredients: (makes 1)

  • 1/4 cup lemon-lime flavored carbonated beverage
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons grenadine syrup
  • 1 maraschino cherry
  • ice



And here's what you do:



In a highball glass, over ice, combine the lemon-lime soda and grenadine. Stir well and garnish with a maraschino cherry.



So how did this drink get its name? According to Yahoo, the drink came about “when Temple was dining with her parents at the Brown Derby and wanted a beverage of her own.” Later, when the actress grew up, she supposedly replaced the ginger ale (again, I used lemon-lime soda) with ginger beer and added a bit of dark rum.”



In any case, the original alcohol-less Shirley Temple is a nice, easy treat for kids.


To them, it's a grown up drink. For parents, it's a lovely little treat to give your kids to make a day special.



Did you drink Shirley Temples growing up? How do you make holidays a little extra-special for your kids?


Thanks for reading!!!  And please follow me on Twitter!  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to email me at isithotinheremmm@gmail.com.