Saturday, January 3, 2015

9 Unexpected, Delightful Uses For Epsom Salt


Everybody is always touting the magic of white vinegar and baking soda. And while I'm a HUGE fan of both because of their versatility...


 I'd like to call your attention to one of my favorite, frugal substances with a MULTITUDE of purposes: Epsom Salt.


Save your pennies by using Epsom salt


 At under $2 for a 16 ounce bag of this stuff, you'll find it does so many things, such as:


Foot Soak – Sure, this is probably the most well-known use for these amazing crystals and as the mother of a gymnast, I've become well-acquainted with this use because sometimes Lily comes home with achy feet. Just add ½ cup of Epsom salt to a large pan of water and soak for 20 minutes or so.


Hair Volumizer – Mix equal parts of Epsom salt with water and work the mixture through your hair. Leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse. 


Face Cleaner/Exfoliant – Mix ½ teaspoon into your cleansing cream and massage into the skin. Rinse afterward with cold water. It's also great for fighting blemishes.


Splinter Remover – I recently got a splinter on the bottom of my foot. After a 20 minute soak in Epsom salt, the splinter was drawn out. Amazing!



Epsom salt is so cheap, too!



Relieve Itchy Skin or Bug Bites – Dissolve a tablespoon of these crystals in a ½ cup of water either apply as a wet compress or spritz onto itchy skin.


Fertilize Houseplants – Your houseplants will thrive by adding 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts per gallon of water and using it monthly.


Fire Starter – I LOVE this recipe, courtesy of Martha Stewart, for making a fire starter. 


Fabric Softener Crystals – Mix one cup of Epsom salt and 10 drops of essential oil to make fabric softener crystals. Use ¼ cup per load and add it at the beginning of your wash cycle.


Sea Salt Texturizing Hair Spray – Wish I'd known about this one BEFORE I spent $4 on texturizing spray! Mix one cup of hot water, 2 tablespoons of Epsom salt, 1 teaspoon of aloe vera gel and ½ a teaspoon of conditioner in a spray bottle. Spray the mix into your hair and scrunch for beachy-waves.


One thing I didn't mention is using Epsom salts as a laxative. Honestly, I've never tried it, so I personally can't recommend it. PLEASE check with your doctor before ingesting anything.


As you can see, Epsom salts are one of those incredibly cheap, multi-purpose substances that people have been using for hundreds of years.  Give the uses above a try and let me know what you think.  Now excuse me. It's time to grab my carton of Epsom salts and cater to my houseplants! 





THANKS FOR READING!  

---

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to email me at isithotinheremmm@gmail.com.