Thursday, May 15, 2014

Quotes About Those Tornadoes Of Nature Known As Teens

Attribution: Justin 1569 at en.wikipedia


My family was wandering through a few shops this weekend, when I spotted the following sign: Warning For Those With Heart Conditions: Teenager On The Premises. My son saw me giggling at it and said, “Thanks, Mom.” I thought it was a fantastic warning, since having a teenager in the house is kind of like having a smoldering fire around at all times; you never know when or where his temper or emotions will flare up.

So I decided to scour the web for other quotes which might amuse me and those of you who know, all-too-well, the dangers of living with a teen. Here are some of my favorites with attributions where I could find them:
  • “When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished by how much he'd learned in seven years.” (Mark Twain)
  • “Adolescence is perhaps nature's way of preparing parents to welcome the empty nest.” (Karen Savage and Patricia Adams, The Good Stepmother)
  • “A teen brain is 80% song lyrics.”
  • “Why do they rate a movie 'R” for adult language? The only people I hear using that language are teenagers. (Which brings up an amusing conversation I had with my son. He recently told me, laughing, that the 7th graders in his school curse so much. “Mom,” he said, “they're so immature!”
  • “Someone told me I was immature. Guess who's not allowed in my tree-house now?”
  • “Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years.”
  • “A babysitter is a teenager acting like an adult while the adults are out acting like teenagers.”
  • “It's difficult to decide whether growing pains are something teenagers have — or are.”
  • “At sixteen, the adolescent knows about suffering because he himself has suffered, but he barely knows that other beings also suffer.” (Jean-Jacques Rousseau)
  • “A teenager is someone who is well-prepared for a zombie attack, but not ready for tomorrow's math quiz.”
  • “Teenagers who are never required to vacuum are living in one.” (Fred G. Gosman)
  • “You can tell a child is growing up when he stops asking where he came from and starts refusing to tell where he is going.”

And let's not forget this memorable quote from my son who said to his menopausal mom, “It feels like we're both going through adolescence.” He hit the nail right on the head.  Love that kid!


Thanks for reading! Please come back again soon!
'

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to email me at isithotinheremmm@gmail.com.