Tuesday, February 4, 2014

More Storm Preparation Tips

 
Diva built a snowlady the other day.  She was sad because there wasn't much snow.  That's not a problem now!

Yesterday we had 7.9 inches of snow. Tomorrow we're going to have 8 inches more plus 2 inches of freezing ice. And on Sunday, we're due for an additional 10 inches of snow. Uh-huh.  Welcome to the Northeast where, by next Tuesday, we'll have a good 28 inches of wet, mucky, frozen stuff on the ground. My kids have had so many days off from school that my daughter woke up this morning and asked if she had to go. “What's the point? We're going to have off tomorrow anyway!” she exclaimed. She's probably right. I am SO sick of Winter!


With this lull between storms, I re-read a post I'd written a few months back on How We Prepare For A Storm (http://isithotinheremmm.blogspot.com/2013/10/how-we-prepare-for-storm-what-helped-us.html) and did a few additional things which I'd like to share with you now.


Ice on top of snow means power outages, so a few weeks ago, we brought the generator into the garage. About an hour ago, I went out and shoveled a path so that, if we need the generator, my husband can haul it to the backyard where we'll station it at least 10 feet from the house (click here for a Fact Sheet from the Connecticut Department Of Public Health which talks about carbon monoxide safety: http://www.ct.gov/dph/lib/dph/environmental_health/eoha/pdf/co_disasters.pdf). I also secured our recycling can with a bungee cord so that in case of high winds, our recycling won't blow around, and I lubricated our shovels with WD-40 so that the snow doesn't stick to them. A quick look in the garage told me that we do, indeed, have kitty litter for traction and salt to melt the ice on our steps while a large rubber container filled with firewood sits by the front door in case the power goes out.


Speaking of losing power, I went to the gas station to top off the tank; if we run out of gas for the generator, we have a doohickey which will siphon gas from the car so we can pour it into the generator. The early part of the afternoon was spent running to the grocery store for extra batteries and provisions, our local library to stock up on movies and books and later on I'm making a run to our local liquor store so that my husband can have a heart-healthy glass of red wine to enjoy while we're stuck inside with our blessed children.


Lastly, while I'm trying to be as prepared as can be, I'm avoiding as much media coverage of the storm as I can. Ever since Hurricane Sandy, folks around here justifiably panic but neither the kids nor I need to hear, over and over again, how “the sky is falling, the sky is falling.” Just as with Sandy and all other storms, we'll weather it as best as we can, with gritting teeth and plenty of mumbling. I am SO sick of Winter!




Thank you for reading! Please check back in with me in a day or two.  Hopefully I'll have power and will have dug out from whatever is coming tomorrow.  And if you're in the midst of a storm or are about to get hit with one, good luck!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to email me at isithotinheremmm@gmail.com.