Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Why I Adore "Love It Or List It"

Being snowed in, I've been watching a lot of television lately and my current obsession is the HGTV show "Love It Or List It."  Each episode tells the story of a couple; one partner hates their current home and the other loves it and just thinks their rooms need a little tweaking to make them work better.  The couple is helped by the two principles of the show:  David Visentin, a real estate agent, and Hillary Farr, a designer.  The homeowners give each of the two experts a budget, either to find a new home or renovate the old -one.  They also give them a list of "must-haves" that they would like.  Mr. Visentin and Ms. Farr then compete to see who can get the couple to either "love" their house or "list it" (click here to learn more about the show:  http://www.hgtv.com/love-it-or-list-it/show/index.html).

I've watched enough episodes to detect a formula for the show, although some of the endings make me pretty mad.  After seeing how a house doesn't work for a family and being sure they're going to "list it," I find out that they're going to "love it."  &*#!  But the show is a lot of fun to watch, especially Mr. Visentin, who is a cutie and sometimes looks as if he wants to slap the house-hunters with a 2'x4'.  The real impact of the show, however,  is that it energizes me, almost as much as coffee, to be more organized and look outside the box for solutions.

Case in point:  hubby recently decided to get rid of our old computer armoire.  I didn't take a photo of it, but it looked something like this:







I needed more storage in the kitchen, so we brought it down, I painted it to match the kitchen and it now looks like this:



I now have storage inside for my computer, the kid's school papers, and other kitchen items.  I even took an old drawer out of another piece and stuck that in the middle.  It, along with a few other shelves, slides out for easy access.  I guess I could have painted the inside, but it's fine as is.  I'm going to add a little light above in the cover for extra light.



On the side of the armoire, I now hide our recycling and, using an old basket, made a re-charging station:



The best part of the whole thing is that I didn't spend any money with the reorganizing.   "Love It Or List It" also inspired me to reorganize my counter-tops, clean my porch, and later this week, I'll be tackling the master closet.  I guess it goes along with what Ms. Farr has said in the show, "It's all about making the space you have work better for you."  Who says too much TV is bad?! 

--

Thanks for reading!  Please check back in with me again.  Oh, and can you keep a secret?  Over the next two weeks or so, I'll be hosting my first giveaway!  See you soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to email me at isithotinheremmm@gmail.com.