Sunday, February 23, 2014

5 Fun Facts About February


February, take the snow and LEAVE!  NOW!!



If you've been reading this blog this past month, you have the patience of a saint! I've been moaning and whining about Winter, here in the Northeast, ad nauseum, and thank you for putting up with me. Since February leaves us this week, I want to unceremoniously push it out the door by sharing some February trivia with you. These facts make great small talk and even if you can't use them, your kids will find them amusing and think you are oh-so-smart!  


  • If you lived in Ancient Rome, February was the last month of the year since the Roman calendar was only ten months. Two months were added at the end of the year, but the calendar was later changed and they became first two months. That's why the ninth to twelfth months get their names from the numbers seven to ten.

  • Everyone knows that every four years, February has 29 days, but there is a rare exception to this. When the year ends with 00, the first two digits have to be divisible by four to be a leap year. So, for example, although the year 1900 is divisible by four, it was not a leap year because the 19 is not.  

  • “February” typically registers 423 million hits on Google. The incorrectly-spelled “Febuary” registers 310 million.

  • The Anglo-Saxons called February “Solmonath” meaning month of mud. I have several more profane names for this blasted month.

  • In the Southern Hemisphere, February is a summer month and is the equivalent of August.


And in case you're wondering what the best things are to buy in February, I give you this link from one of my favorite sites, Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5881436/the-best-things-to-buy-in-february.


Please check back in with me in a day or so. I just got a new phone and have been playing with apps galore.  Let me share my newest discoveries with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting! Feel free to email me at isithotinheremmm@gmail.com.